Data-driven marketing was a powerful tool for pharma marketers in 2017. At the beginning of the year, audience identity management technology reported the online behavior of opted-in HCP visitors to your pharma brand sites. By year end, this capability had been extended across a digital ecosystem of more than 300 medical websites.
Pharma marketers used online HCP data to improve a variety of marketing initiatives – including email, websites, and digital advertising—and to increase overall marketing ROI. Our most popular blogs from 2017 considered many of these issues. Here’s a quick recap.
Understanding Physician Online Behavior
Audience identity management technology reported the name, NPI number, medical specialty, and browsing behavior of 1.7 million opted-in HCPs when they visit participating medical websites:
- Discover How Tagging Technology Will Drive Pharma Revenue In 2018: Identifying the HCPs who visit your pharma brand sites allows you to focus your digital marketing on verified, high-value targets and contain marketing costs.
- The Future of Pharma Website Data: Hundreds of healthcare brands are using these 12 audience identity strategies to improve the effectiveness of their marketing campaigns.
- Pharma Website Data Reveals Unexpected Audiences, Part 1: Analysis of the audience identity data from one pharma brand site uncovered several new target audiences.
An expansion of audience identity technology then made it possible to see the “digital journey” of target physicians across our digital medical ecosystem:
- What New Data Tells Pharma Marketers about HCP Browsing Behavior: Know the categories of medical websites your target HCPs visit and the types of content each HCP views on those pages.
Perfecting Email Marketing
Though digital advertising and social media marketing increased, targeted email marketing remained one of the most efficient ways to reach physicians, NP/PAs, and nurses:
Understand the online behavior of 1.7 million opted-in HCPs across 300 medical websites.
- 16 Stats Proving Email Still Delivers the Best ROI: Overall email usage, click-through rates, and mobile adoption support the ongoing use of email marketing.
- You Wouldn't Recommend a Biosimilar; Why Accept an Off-Brand Database?: Database quality matters. Using an unauthenticated database may lead to regulatory trouble, while a quality email list pays for itself every time.
In 2017, 100 percent of U.S. pharma marketers used email marketing. It’s not surprising, then, that our readers were very interested in creating email that engages physicians:
- Doctors Get A Lot of Email (Make Sure They Read Yours): Successful email campaigns are built on accurate physician data that broadens your reach and deepens your knowledge of your target audiences.
- 5 Problems to Avoid When Email Marketing to Physicians: If your email campaigns are underperforming, be sure you’re not making any of these common mistakes.
- Want More Clicks? Design Emails Physicians Will Read: Analysis of 300 million HCP emails and 30,000 deployments revealed these best practices for ensuring physician engagement.
Integrating Multichannel Marketing
Finally, pharma marketers continue to strive for a seamless customer experience in order to build meaningful, lasting relationships with HCPs:
- Integrating HCP Marketing Is Easier with AIM: Audience identity management technology connects the dots between email, event, and website initiatives.
Having the ability to identify individual HCP visitors to medical websites has opened up many new possibilities for digital pharma marketing. In 2018, we’ll continue to explore the potential of “digital journey” data, as well as the role of audience identity data in combating digital ad fraud.