The pharmaceutical industry of today is almost unrecognizable from what it was ten years ago. The industry’s dynamics continue to undergo seismic shifts, one of which is the explosion of specialized drugs. The increase in specialized drugs, coupled with the growing reluctance of healthcare professionals (HCPs) to meet with sales reps, has resulted in job cuts and inhospitable and unprofitable conditions for the remaining field staff.
Pharmaceutical companies now faced larger and larger swaths of vacant territories with plenty of HCPs and no sales reps. That leaves a lot of fallow sales ground and no way to bridge the gap, or so you think. Read on to find out why HCP email campaigns are the cost-effective solution to vacant territories.
Pharma Sales Reps Don’t Have to be Cost-Prohibitive
The shifting dynamics of the industry have left significant chunks of territory to which you can't justify the cost of assigning a sales rep. Selling the highly specialized medications that now dominate the industry requires reps who are well-versed in their nuanced indications. Sales reps who are that knowledgeable are also expensive, so you have to pick and choose where you assign them.
That leaves you with territories with HCPs and no rep to serve them. To compound your predicament, a ZS Associates survey recently found that nearly half of all physicians bar communication with sales reps in some way. With those kinds of barriers, how are you supposed to reach these untapped markets?
Reach Vacant Territories Effectively and Inexpensively
The current approach pharmaceutical companies take with vacant territories makes little sense. They try to connect with hard-to-reach doctors in vacant territories and fail, reaching only their receptionists or voicemail systems. Trying to divine the hours of a physician in a remote location is not easy. The lack of availability makes even phone calls a marketing shot in the dark. Alternatively, marketers might try a direct mail campaign in vacant territories. However, the high cost and low response of direct mail makes its ROI abysmal.http://info.dmdconnects.com/blog/reinventing-email-marketing-going-beyond-what-we-do-now
Five Reasons Why Email Is the Most Cost-Effective Strategy for Vacant Territories
Email is a simple, inexpensive, and customizable way to reach the HCPs sales reps can’t meet with in person. Here's why:
- Frequency. You can send messages more often; those messages will actually reach your target providers more often.
- Engagement. You can interact meaningfully with HCPs via email in a number of ways, including answering questions, offering samples, or inviting them to events.
- Direct contact. With phone and mail, your communication gets filtered through receptionists. With email, you can use the physician-preferred email address, so your messages land directly in HCPs' inboxes.
- Testing opportunities. You'll have the chance to test various campaigns to see what gets you the most traction with which audiences.
- Timeliness. Email is instant, meaning you can immediately engage doctors with relevant, current information.
Reaching vacant territories with sales reps isn't economical, but abandoning them altogether means walking away from potentially profitable markets. Email is the engaging, affordable, and convenient way to bridge the gap between your message and these underserved HCPs.