When a medical device company discovers a serious problem with one of its products, time is of the essence. Healthcare marketers have to move quickly to alert doctors and distribute accurate information about any necessary follow-up actions.
Healthcare marketers have traditionally used postal mail to get the word out, but with limited success:
- Matching or expanding your target list is difficult, since many practitioners change addresses often.
- It’s impossible to know who actually opens and reads postal mail.
- Producing and distributing direct mail is slow and expensive. Warehousing returned mail wastes even more resources.
A hybrid approach to Dear Doctor letters – one that leads with email and follows up with postal mail – provides a more effective solution.
Increase Engagement and Track Results
Hybrid Dear Doctor programs offer many benefits. Specifically, they help med device marketers:
- Reach more healthcare providers. An authenticated email database provides accurate, up-to-date addresses for 90% of physicians, so you can match and expand your target list with confidence.
- Increase engagement. Physicians would rather receive professional information via email than traditional mail, and a quality database lets you choose the email address physicians open most often.
- Track results. Email metrics clearly indicate which physicians opened your email and which ones clicked through to view supporting information. If your website is running audience identity management technology, you can even track each physician’s browsing behavior after he arrives at your website.
- Demonstrate accountability. Because email allows you to track and retain results from your Dear Doctor program, you’ll always be prepared in the event of an audit.
- Save time. Producing an email letter is faster than creating printed materials. Using pre-approved email templates saves even more time by reducing the number of MLR reviews.
- Reduce costs. Sending postal mail only to doctors who didn’t receive your email greatly reduces paper, printing, postal, and warehousing costs. It’s not unusual to save 50% on an email campaign, versus a print campaign.
- Be green. Several of the factors that lower your cost reduce the environmental impact of your deployment too. Depending on the number of prescribers you need to reach, you can expect to decrease carbon emissions by as much as 75%.
Build Your Brand
Hybrid Dear Doctor programs also help marketers build a consistent brand narrative. Email makes it easy to develop standardized templates that you can repurpose for multiple campaigns. While your Dear Doctor letters might use a template with a clinical, rather than a promotional design, you can create a few copy and design elements that are relevant to both. Applying the same design elements across a variety of campaigns helps physicians recognize emails from you.
By sending Dear Doctor letters via email, using a high-quality email list, and developing a consistent brand style, you make life easier on your marketing department -- and the busy physicians who will now find it easier to keep track of critical communications.