Pharma marketing can feel a bit like a game of Clue. No matter how carefully you plan your strategy, once the game (or your campaign) gets rolling, it’s difficult to know who is doing what:
- Was it Dr. Chan outside the OR reading a clinical trial on her iPad?
- Or Dr. Meyer in his office viewing a journal article on his laptop?
- Perhaps Dr. Lewis in the hallway downloading a co-pay offer on his mobile?
Keeping track of Miss Scarlet and friends for an hour is hard enough. Understanding the preferences of thousands of doctors is infinitely harder. Fortunately, you don’t need Professor Plum or a Ph.D. in analytics to learn from—and continuously improve—your email and website outreach to HCPs.
Start With Email Data
When you know how to read the clues in email marketing data, you can use them to refine every aspect of your campaigns, from planning through analysis.
- Behavioral data, including information about the content individual doctors read, lets you customize your messages based on a doctor’s current interests and level of engagement with your brand.
- Deployment data that compares open and click-through rates for different segments at different times indicates the ideal deployment timing for specific audiences.
- A/B test results verify which subject lines, CTAs, email copy, and even color schemes are most effective and engaging for each of your audiences.
- Device data tells you which devices your physicians use most often, so you can optimize your creative for the specific requirements of various platforms.
Add Audience Identity Data
Audience identity management technology takes targeting and segmentation to the next level by reporting the behavior of individually “tagged” HCPs on your website:
- Name, NPI number, specialty, and geographic data identify the HCPs who visit your website. The data may confirm that your site is attracting your target HCPs, or it may uncover new, unexpected audiences.
- Browsing data lets you know what content each physician views, so you can focus your resources on developing the kinds of materials your targets value most.
- Frequency and duration data indicates each physician’s level of engagement by reporting how much time she spends on your site. Among other things, this information can be used to determine when it’s time for a personalized follow-up, whether through email or face-to-face.
Put It All Together
Currently, nearly 1.5 million opt-in tags identify HCPs on more than 300 healthcare websites. By linking this individualized website data with the physician profiles in your email database, you can develop a sophisticated understanding of each physician’s digital preferences and current medical interests.
This in turn allows you to:
- Create personalized email interactions
- Develop website content your target audiences find most valuable
- Make informed decisions about when and where to place digital ads
- Integrate digital marketing, including email, event, and website initiatives
Connecting email and website data lets you know which physicians view your content, when they view it, and on what device. When you follow the clues, you don’t have to second-guess your next marketing move.