Doing digital marketing in a world of tech giants like Microsoft, Google, and Facebook can make even the most seasoned pharma marketer feel like a Lilliputian. Our individual campaigns are essential to our brands, but they’re inconsequential in the total scheme of the technology that underpins digital commerce.
In other words, the giants make the rules, and we have to play by them. That requires being nimble enough to stay on top of each successive change.
Channel Optimization in Pharma Marketing
The 2nd Annual Channel Optimization in Pharma Marketing conference, which kicks off on February 28, will explore how pharma marketers can take advantage of evolving technologies. Industry leaders will evaluate some of the biggest digital innovations from the last 12 months with an eye toward maximizing ROI and customer engagement.
The conference organizers believe that a data-driven and targeted channel mix is essential to commercial effectiveness. We couldn’t agree more.
A Data-Driven Approach
Only a data-driven approach delivers the customer insight pharma marketers need to develop targeted email marketing, brand website, and digital advertising campaigns.
Optimized email campaigns require detailed email data, including:
- Authenticated email addresses for 90 percent of HCPs
- Procedure codes, claims data, and prescribing behavior
- The optimal time of day and day of week for email deployment by specialty
Developing targeted brand websites is easier when you have audience identity data, such as:
- The name and specialty of each tagged HCP who visits your website
- The time and duration of each visit
- The content each HCP views on your site
Finally, you can make smarter digital advertising decisions when you have access to “digital journey” data that indicates:
Only a data-driven approach delivers the customer insight needed to develop effective pharma marketing campaigns.
- The categories of websites your target HCPs visit across our digital ecosystem of 300 medical websites
- The types of medical content they view on those sites
Better data enables better campaigns in each of these channels. For example, individualized physician data drives improved customer engagement by:
- Supporting more precise HCP segmentation
- Identifying the digital content your target HCPs value most
- Indicating which types of medical sites are best for your digital ads
The real magic happens when you apply these insights across channels.
Suppose you run an email campaign that offers physicians a co-pay card. If audience identity data reports that physicians spend only a few seconds viewing that card on your website before clicking to a related research study, it could be time to refine your approach.
You might respond by changing your email offer from the co-pay card to the study, or you could experiment with other changes to your email or website content and track the results.
This is just one example. During the Channel Optimization conference, speakers from Astrellas, Merck, and other pharma and biotech organizations will discuss their multichannel marketing strategies. On Thursday, March 1 at noon, I’ll talk more about how physician data from the 300 websites in our medical ecosystem is essential to optimizing multichannel programs. See you then.