We’re all friends here, fellow travelers, so to speak. We can handle the truth. Our job as digital marketers is to discover the tendencies, proclivities, cravings, location, and absolute digital desires of our HCP audiences in order to deliver our pitch, or our client’s pitch. Our mission is to cause our audience to behave, or continue to behave, in a way that supports our commercial mission. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, how do we capitalize on the digital addiction of our target audience? First, we need to understand the nature of digital addiction in its rawest elements.
1. Reach – Kings and queens could reach to the far end of their domains, a mere trifle compared to us who can reach just about any place in the world, from Singapore to Siberia, or from the inside of an elevator to the inside of a bathroom.
2. Asynchronous – We don’t need to coordinate time and place with our audience. We communicate when we want to.
3. Control – Asynchronous also means that we don’t have to respond when our correspondent seeks us out - maybe not today or tomorrow…maybe never. Control translates into pure power.
4. Anytime, anyplace – Of course, there is an awkward side to anytime, anyplace as we all have experienced. And, there is the fear of it becoming “all the time, every place.” But, with that said, we are no longer bound to location or appointment. We do it where we want to do it and when we want to do it.
5. Instant gratification – Just think of Amazon Prime, or the innovation in “buy-it” icons. We can search it, crowdsource recommendations for it, and ultimately buy it without moving from our couch.
6. Replication – We cut, paste, send, message, blog, post, chat, what’s app, and Pinterest the same content over and over. We may lack originality, but we are proficient
7. And, most powerfully, we can create our own following – Joan of Arc may have had thousands of followers, the Crusades hundreds of thousands, but Ashton
Is it no wonder that 84% of device users keep their devices within 10 feet or that 4 of 5 users – and I do mean users as in habitual users – check their device within the first 15 minutes of the day?
Reach, control, omniscience, and the ego-centrality to instantly gratify ourselves anytime while creating a mass following – very heady stuff. In next week’s installment, I’ll tell you how to exploit digital addiction for commercial optimization.