After 20 years of trying to use aggregated website data to make intelligent marketing decisions, pharma marketers are adopting audience identity technology to identify the individual HCPs who visit their medical websites. In addition to determining the name, specialty, and NPI# of all “tagged” visitors, brands are evaluating the specific pages individual HCPs visit, how much time they spend on each, and how often they return, in order to tailor their follow-up communication to the preferences of that individual physician.
More than 300 healthcare brands are already reaping the benefits of this technology in 2017. As you plan for 2018, consider implementing some of their proven strategies:
- Gain insight into website visitors. Use audience identity management data to determine what percent of verified website visitors are physicians, NPs/PAs, and nurses. Further break down your audiences by specialty, geography, hospital affiliation, and other useful criteria.
- Customize website content to meet the needs of verified audiences. For example, create a homepage with wide-ranging product information for generalists, another with clinical updates for specialists, and a third with patient support services for nurses.
- Uncover competitive insights. Develop website content that answers a specific competitive question. Then identify the individual physicians who view that information and evaluate their interest in your brand based on their browsing behavior.
- Invite website visitors to local events. When you’re hosting a KOL speaking tour or other event, use pop-up invitations on your homepage to notify HCPs who live nearby.
- Follow up on website visits via email. If you notice a specific doctor repeatedly viewing the same content—for example, an overview of a specific study—send her the full study results through email, along with a personal note highlighting relevant information within the study.
- Narrow your email list based on who clicks through. Reduce email deployment costs and increase click-through rates by focusing your email campaigns on HCPs who’ve demonstrated interest in your brand.
- Expand your reach to different specialists. When website data uncovers new segments of prescribers, develop campaigns to engage them. These unexpected secondary targets often make up a large and potentially valuable market.
- Target mid-level prescribers. If website data indicates that a significant number of your visitors are NP/PAs, use a dedicated NP/PA email database to target them specifically.
- Give sales reps an edge. Use digital audience identification data to keep sales reps informed about the content their specific doctors view and the level of interest each exhibits. Reps can then prioritize in-person visits and provide doctors with the supplemental information they value most.
- Integrate HCP marketing. Link real-time website data with your physician database in order to gain a deeper understanding of how HCPs interact with your brand across your email, event, and website initiatives. Develop campaigns that respond to their changing needs and keep them moving through your product funnel.
- Deliver the right ad to the right segment. Refine your ad creative based on the insights you’ve gleaned about your digital audience. Then work with publishers who also use digital audience identity technology and can serve targeted ads in real time.
- Optimize ad spend. Buy ad space from publications that can verify their audience, so you know your ads will be seen by the right specialists.
Have we forgotten anything? If so, let us know how you’re using—or plan to use— audience identity technology to improve your pharma marketing campaigns.