It’s hardly news that physicians are less accessible to pharma reps now than in the past. Or that physicians, like the rest of us, often struggle with digital overload. Whether you deliver your pharma message in person or electronically, it’s hard to make it heard.
Hypertargeting large email deployments and using email to personalize digital interactions can help. Targeting the whole practice, including NPPAs and nurses, is also effective. Yet, to get the most from these strategies, marketing and sales must work well together. Here’s how it’s done:
Marketing: Get the Ball Rolling, then Gather Insights
Savvy pharma marketers can use both email campaigns and website content to increase HCP engagement with their brand:
- Start by developing an email campaign around a product launch, upcoming conference, or other trigger event. Include a call-to-action that drives HCPs to your website.
- Then implement audience management technology that reports data about individual browsing behavior on your website.
- Use this data to identify offers that appeal to specific physicians. You can promote these offers through your website, follow-up emails, or both.
- Also analyze physician-level website data by specialty, procedure code, and other segmenting criteria to determine exactly what kind of content physicians and mid-level prescribers are looking for. Reorganize, refine, or supplement your existing website content as needed.
- Next, communicate these insights to sales, either in person or by programming a simple app that monitors audience identity management data and emails useful information to reps.
Sales: Translate Insights into a Meaningful Conversation
Sales reps can analyze email and website data to know where to focus their efforts, as well as how to personalize physician interactions:
- First use engagement analytics like open and click-through rates to understand how and when physicians interact with your emails.
- Then let real-time audience identity management data regarding the recency, frequency, and duration of website visits tell you what individual physicians are interested in right now.
- Before your next in-person meeting with one of these doctors, send a personalized email that addresses his or her current needs and indicates how you plan to make the most of your time together.
- Build on recent webcasts or events that the physician attended by providing additional resources, either in person or through a rep-triggered email program.
- Stay in touch through occasional emails that highlight website content individual physicians might be interested in.
Close the Loop
Finally, refine your email, website, and sales outreach strategies by sharing what works and what doesn’t. Are the insights marketing provides valuable to sales? How is sales putting that information to use? What additional data would be valuable to both teams?
Email marketing continues to be among the most cost-effective lead-generation channels, and audience identity management data provides new insight into the real-time interests of your target audiences. Working together, marketing and sales can use these channels to personalize all of their interactions with HCPs, a strategy that is known to increase engagement and brand loyalty.